We are embarking on a great adventure, one of learning and teaching. We will embrace our new surroundings and grow in a new culture.

Monday, September 18, 2006

A night out on the town

Hello from the sleepy little island of Jeju! Well last weekend wasn't so sleepy for us. We made a tour to the big (big for the island!) city of Jeju, and we met up with a heap of friends to got out on the town. The guys here are preparing to go to Seoul for rugby tournament, so they got together to practise, and then there was a raffle with good ol' food from home! You should have seen the people fighting for the Twizzlers, Mac&Cheese, Reese PB cups and Lifestyles condoms! It was a sight! I did manage to get half a twizzlers which Christian snuck me...ummm!

As you can see Christian has become my fuzzy, lumberjack looking man! When ever he shaves his beard I always say I feel like I'm cheating on my bearded man!!! For those of you who know Christian, growing a beard is the ultimate sign of relaxation and rest. Sooo, we're not too stressed! At home it was more like grow some chin scrub for a week while on holidays, then go back to work all professional and clean shaven. Here, well, it's a tad different! Regular attire at work included flipflops, shorts, tank-top/t-shirt, and usually salty hair and skin from coming directly from the ocean!

We had probably mentioned that the summer quickly vanished about 2 weeks ago. That was thnaks to a little typhoon that showered us with gray skies and rain. I am happy to say that the blue skies are back! The ocean has chilled down just a bit, but it it BEAUTIFUL!!! We are lucky that both of our parents are coming soon. We can't wait to show them the summer life of Jeju! Remember we're still here for another 2 months if anyone wants to pop by! After that you can track us down somewhere in Asia!

I recounted my little haircutting experience to most of you, but I still haven't gotten any good pics. No worries, nothing dramatic, and certainly not the oh-so popular mullet. I was tempted by the mullet (for a second or so) but decided that even a rat-tail was cooler than that, and I wasn't going to chop it all off just to be cool! You'd be surprised by whole great some little 2nd and 3rd graders look with mullets! I'll get some pics of the kids up soon too!

It's off now for the last class of the day. I'm discussing environment issues with my adult class. I just love ruffling their feathers! I don't think they are used to talking about sensitive issues like the environment, politics, mandatory military service for men, divorce...it certainly gets them talking.

We are happy and we are healthy. We miss you all and we'll be home in a short 9 months!!! Until then!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home