We are embarking on a great adventure, one of learning and teaching. We will embrace our new surroundings and grow in a new culture.

Saturday, January 06, 2007

We're getting married!!!

SURPRISE!!!

Though most of you know we figured we'd put it up here too!!!

It was January 3rd, a quiet morning in Mui Ne Beach on the East coast of Vietnam. The weather was hot, humid and overcast. (Sounds like a mystery novel...too bad I gave away the ending!)

We had a great breakfast of strong Vietnamese coffee with condense milk and fresh fruit...local bananas, pears, pineapple, mangoes, dragon fruit... while overlooking the beach from our hammocks. It was definitely a good start to the day!

We rented a motorbike and drove along the coast, out of the tourist area, past the fishing village, through the sand dunes, arriving at a long stretch of beach. We pulled out our beach blanket/Korean air blanket care of our buddy John, and settled down on the beach, all alone.

I got up to look at the thousands of shells that had washed up with the tide. A few minutes later, Christian came up behind me and asked "What are you looking for?" In front of me he stretched out his hands in which he had a navy ring box. Surprised, happy, ecstatic...all these feelings were bouncing around in me. I couldn't stop laughing, crying and smiling! Inside the box was another small round box, a ring box that Christian had bought way back in Seoul. The ring box itself is beautiful, like a lacquered jewelry box with all different colors...I can't really describe it. Anyways, inside the box I found the most beautiful ring. It's not a big ring, but it's really beautiful and reminds me of my moms wedding band. We had talked about rings before and I hadn't wanted a big ring, I wanted something I could wear everyday, especially during our travels. I didn't want too much bling while traveling through Cambodia or Thailand. The ring is so nice and it fits perfectly too! Pics will come soon!

Through muffled laughter and tears I said YES, of course! We had been talking about marriage for a while, but the proposal was a surprise and so fantastic. We walked the beach and went swimming, and stayed in each others arms for the next few hours just enjoying our special moment together! That night we watched a stunning sunset together. It was really a perfectly romantic day!!!

We haven't decided on a date, or even a season yet. BUT we do know that it will be in CANADA, so don't worry, no secret weddings in Asia!

Once we arrive back in Canada in 5 months time then we'll start planning and preparing!

We wish we could have shared this with all of you, but we are glad to share our fabulous news with you all!

We send our love from Vietnam!

Karina and Christian

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOORAY HOORAY! ASSA! We love you! Joy and Matt and Emma

9:32 p.m.

 
Blogger kourts said...

SUNSHINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats! I am so happy for the both of you! For some reason I have just discovered this fabulous site you have put together- what exciting/eye opening travels you've been on- you can never quite express how important it is to see how others live in order to better understand the world!

I'm still living out in whistler- came here right after my travels and haven't left- try to extend your travels for a couple days on the West Coast if you can- spend a couple days enjoying the mountain/beach/trails/golf course/////etc/..does't end!

lots of love to you both- all the best.xox Kourts

7:47 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home